- About the program
The three-year undergraduate program in Economics at the Faculty of Economics and Sociology of the University of Lodz is intended to provide students with tools that will allow them to describe and analyze economic and social reality.
Those who have ever wondered about the following issues…
– Should health insurance be mandatory?
– Which pension funds are more reliable: public or private?
– Will you soon be able to pay with bitcoins for access to Spotify and Apple Music?
– Why are some branded clothes in Poland several times more expensive than in the US?
– Will debt relief really help the poorest African countries get out of the poverty trap?
– Why Venezuela, which has one of the largest oil reserves in the world, is also one of the poorest countries in the world today?
– Will the rapid technological progress and automation of production soon lead to a situation in which most people currently working will be unemployed?
– If I run my own company after graduation, should I invest in advertising or rather focus on introducing new products?
should choose studies in Economics at the Faculty of Economics and Sociology of the University of Lodz.
Undergraduate students in Economics do not learn how to fill out forms for the tax office or the Social Insurance Institution. Economics is a science that allows them understand behaviors and choices both at the micro and macro-level. During the program, students will learn to answer questions about the causes and consequences of actions taken by themselves, entrepreneurs and politicians. They learn abstract and critical thinking, so that they can solve problems themselves and seek answers to the above questions.
Studies in Economics will enable you to get proper preparation for active participation in business life. Graduates know the latest trends and mechanisms of the global economy and are prepared to meet the requirements of the modern labor market.
The program of studies in the field of Economics consists of modules of economic subjects, as well as non-economic subjects, necessary to understand the economic issues. We also offer modules for elective courses and specialization modules.
BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAM:
- Our graduates acquire broad knowledge of economics that allows for a better understanding of modern economies. They are familiarized with quantitative methods and equipped with skills to do economic research and carry out quantitative analyses of applied economics problems,
- Graduates develop practical skills in the use of IT tools and statistical tools,
- Studies in Economics also enable the development of „soft” competences, especially those related to social communication and analysis of historical events,
- Subjects and specializations included in the Economics program give an opportunity to acquire practical skills also improved within the framework of apprenticeships, internships or volunteering carried out by students,
- Students have the opportunity to design the study program flexibly by choosing the specialties and electives.
The program in ECONOMIES received:
- accreditation certificate of the International Accreditation Council for Business Education,
- a distinction grade from the Polish Accreditation Committee in the Internationalization category,
- accreditation certificate and „Studia z Przyszłością” Quality Mark awarded by the Foundation for Development of Education and Higher Education and PRC Agency (program ECONOMICS in Polish),
- extraordinary certificate „Quality Leader in Education Studia z Przyszłością awarded by the Foundation for the Development of Education and Higher Education and PRC Agency (program ECONOMICS in Polish).
Three specialties are offered as part of the first-cycle program:
– Quantitative methods in business and economics – students of this specialty acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to conduct analytical and research work, learn about processes in different types of markets and learn to select and use the right tools for analysis of these processes;
– Eco-Business – the choice of this specialty allows students to acquire knowledge and skills related to sustainable economic development and ecology, as well as prepares them for work in organizations dealing with environmental protection issues;
– International Business – the choice of this specialty allows students to acquire knowledge and skills related to international business.
Important subjects include among others: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Mathematics, Statistics, Basics of Econometrics, Accounting and Finances of Enterprises, Basics of International Economics, Labour Market Economics, Business on the EU Market.
- Gained competencies
- elementary terminology used in economics,
- sources of economics and its application within the social sciences (sociology, management, law) and their interrelationships to economics,
- the key events in the history of the world economy and the ways of assessing and interpreting their causes and effects from the point of view of the most important economic theories,
- consumer and producer behavior and the influence of the environment on market decisions,
- the importance of natural resources for the shaping of economic processes and the concept of sustainable development,
- assessment of economic phenomena in the national and international perspective,
- the basic quantitative tools used in economic research and for solving decision-making, strategic and operational problems,
- the basic legal regulations in the field of intellectual property and copyright protection.
- to observe economic phenomena with an indication of their causes, using basic analytical tools,
- to use the basic theoretical knowledge in the field of economics and related disciplines in order to formulate practical conclusions useful for decision-makers, as well as to analyze and interpret various economic problems,
- to predict the effects of economic decisions based on knowledge of economic theories and basic prognostic techniques,
- to express accurately and consistently in speech and writing on topics related to selected economic issues, using various theoretical approaches from both economics and related disciplines,
- to draw up statements, reports, analyzes and expert reports to help make correct economic decisions,
- to independently collect, select and process information in the field of social and economic phenomena,
- to identify gaps in their knowledge and independently supplement them,
- to work in a team solving specific tasks in the field of economics, student has the organizational skills to achieve the goals related to designing and undertaking professional activities,
- to use a foreign language at the B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, in the fields of science and scientific disciplines relevant to the studied field of study.
- awareness of the level of own knowledge and the need for continuous professional training and personal development, self-evaluates own competences,
- awareness of the limitations of theories and research methods learned and openness to new theories and methods; creativity in looking for solutions to the problems,
- formulating own position, choosing arguments for its support, but also flexibility in conducting the discussion, including arguments for other views,
- a care about the reliability of conducted analyzes and precision of the argument,
- cooperation in a group, organizations or institutions, openness to cooperation and building relationships, creativity and entrepreneurship, readiness to take up professional challenges, perseverance in implement individual and team actions,
- acting in accordance with the principles of professional ethics and law, sensitivity to social, economic and environmental problems,
- responsibility in the approach to work and tasks.
- Employment prospects
THE GRADUATES HAVE EXCELLENT EMPLOYMENT PROSPECTS INCLUDING:
- careers within companies, banks, financial and insurance institutions,
- work as a specialist in economics and management, financial and investment advisor, business analyst, sales and marketing specialist,
- work in central administration, self-government and non-profit organizations,
They are also prepared to run their own business.